Morland House is a former Tudor vicarage lived in by the Markham family since 1828 and the four acres of magical gardens reflect the changing tastes of successive generations. Though open to the public every day from 10 – 5, the gardens are so extensive that crowding is not an issue.
Described as ‘a hidden secret in the heart of the tranquil Eden Valley’ (Tim Longville, Cumbria Life) the first impression is one of extensive lawns, colourful herbaceous borders and walled rose garden with views to the Pennines. Then comes the surprise. A flight of stone steps leads down to a lower garden laid out around Morland Beck fed by a high ‘force’ gushing water into a shady pool below. Crossing the beck by the wooden foot bridge, visitors reach a secret wonderland where nature runs riot – a Victorian rock garden created out of a former quarry complete with fountain, grotto and cliff top walk towering overhead. The circular walk returns via the steppingstones and Lion Steps to the croquet lawns.
Starting with snowdrops and aconites in January and February, there are extensive daffodils in March and tulips in April and May. June is the month for the rose garden, and the herbaceous borders flourish from July to October. The garden trail will keep all ages entertained whilst the extensive lawns in front of the house are ideal for ball games. The well-maintained croquet lawn is for the exclusive use of house guests with equipment provided.
See Morland House Gardens for information on the current charges and season tickets.
Members of the Historic Houses Association visit for free and must sign-in as directed.
The garden was the subject of a Cumbria Life feature (PDF, 5MB).
There is a Private Garden on the south side of the house for the exclusive use of Morland House guests. Accessible both from directly from the Drawing Room and from outside the Family Kitchen, it has a patio with outdoor table, chairs and a barbecue, a lawn, and an 1880 summerhouse. This allows for lunches or tea parties outdoors.
There is a private gate to the church, which has the only Saxon tower in the North West of England. Therefore, the house makes an excellent base for wedding parties. The garden has many splendid locations for wedding photographs, and is available free of charge to guests who rent the house.
Click on any gallery image above to see a large version. You can then: